[XML-SIG] PyXML Installation on IBM AIX

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:54:34 -0500 (EST)

Hestness, Steve writes:
>I am attempting to install PyXML on IBM AIX 4.2.  I've installed distutils.
>Here is the last part of the output from the "python setup.py build"
>command:  What is ./ld_so_aix?

It's a script that comes with Python (included in the Modules/
subdirectory of the Python source), because AIX requires some magical
compiler incantations to compile shared libraries.  This looks like a
bug in Python itself, not in the XML code or the Distutils code; it
seems that LDSHARED is set to './ld_so_aix', when it should be
/usr/local/lib/python1.5/config/ld_so_aix, or something similar.  As a
workaround, you could simply copy ld_so_aix to the XML tree from your
Python source tree.  Or, put a copy of the script in
/usr/local/lib/python1.5/config/, and hack the makesetup script to
use the full path name.  (Distutils parses makesetup to get the paths
and compiler invocations for a system.)

Good job, there, O'Grady. Always kick 'em when they're down. You might just
make a detective yet.
    -- Lt. Burke, in SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE: "The Cannon", act IV