[XML-SIG] Re: XML DTD for Python source?

gvwilson@nevex.com gvwilson@nevex.com
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:40:05 -0500 (EST)

> Thomas Passin wrote:
>
> Well, for one thing it [using XML to store program source] would make
> it easier to make a "folding" editor.

Yup.  I used the folding editor that came with occam for a couple of
years; it was the only thing about the system I liked :-).

> Still, once you start creating your program this way, it's going to be
> bloody hard to to edit it by hand any more.

Do you feel that you're "editing by hand" when you use Microsoft Word on a
.doc file?  Or Frame on a .frm file?  If not, why not?

(Parenthetical note: I realize you can't 'grep' a Word document, or run
'sed' on it, etc.  I don't think that's because it has rich structure, but
rather because that structure is proprietary.  I'd hope that XML's
openness would make this much less of an issue.)

Thanks,
Greg