[XML-SIG] XML in Python 1.6 (PROPOSAL)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:38:09 -0700

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 04:02:04PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Paul Prescod writes:
>  > As an aside: couldn't Python's package mechanism union the contents of
>  > the various packages the way Java does? Perhaps it is a little harder
>  > with the __init__.py stuff....
>
>   I think this is something to seriously consider for Python 1.7.  I
> don't think it's so hard technically, but there are a couple of
> issues.  (One is:  if the first <pkg> directory found doesn't have
> __init__.py, and the second one does, is the first part of the
> package?  Currently, it's not.)  This should be brought up on
> python-dev after 1.6 has been released; we don't have time to deal
> with that much mail before then!  ;)

I've said this before as part of the imputil stuff: the current import
mechanism creates a direct mapping between packages and the filesystem.
Through the magic of things like imputil, you can break and tweak that kind
of behavior/definition.

but alas... Python itself, in its current incarnation, demands the 1:1
correspondence.

Cheers,
-g

--