[XML-SIG] Reconsidering the DOM API

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:27:32 -0700

Ken MacLeod wrote:

> This is not an argument against Pyxie's convenience functions which
> make Pyxie so easy to use and what draw so many people to it!  My
> concern is that this could have easily been done _with_ SAX and DOM
> and avoided unnecessary incompatibility.

I guess I responded to the wrong guy. We agree!

In Sean's defence, I do not think that Pyxie could be written on top of
"raw SAX" because the tree building requires a pull model. Python SAX
now has a tree building extension, but that might be newer than Pyxie.

> * the ESIS format so Pyxie utilities can be easily chained together
>    on the command line (the CLI equivalent of chaining SAX filters)

I think that XML itself (or at least canonical XML) can be the format
passed from program to program!

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski