[XML-SIG] Reconsidering the DOM API

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:41:42 -0700

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > Above and beyond XPath, I would like to believe that reasonably
> > efficient parsers can be written in straight Python using SRE or at
> > least MXTools or something...
>
> Hmm...  regular expressions for XPath seems a bit sticky, but feasible, but
> full XML?...

No, I didn't mean full XML. I meant, e.g., IDL or other languages where
the data files do not tend to be megabytes long and arriving once per
second. :)

But hey, if I say its impossible it will probably be possible with the
next version of SRE.

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski