[XML-SIG] Ugh! Why are DOM access methods spelled with a leading '_'?

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:32:23 -0600

> I'll be willing to give on this, however, I assert that
> a decision isn't a decision unless it's published.
>
> It doesn't help when the people who made the decision
> can't seem to remember what it was.

_Completely_ untrue.  Can you point me to a post where someone said they don't
kow what the decision was?  I _can_ point you to posts where the consensus was
summarized.  See, for instance

http://www.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/1999-November/003281.html  (and
following posts)

http://www.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/1999-November/003313.html

The whole affair started in the "4DOM future" thread and continued in the
"foo.bar vs. foo.get_bar()", rounding out in the "CORBA compliance for the DOM
in Python?" thread and other sundry conversations.

> Supposedly, the
> decision was that DOM attributes are accessed as ordinary
> Python attributes, as in::
>
>   foo.nodeName

Yes.

> yet several people seemed to think that attributes are obtained
> via accessor functions:
>
>   foo._get_nodeName()

Yes.  The decision was "both".  See the links.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101