[XML-SIG] Ugh! Why are DOM access methods spelled with a leading '_'?

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:49:36 -0400

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

> Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>  > The big issue there is the legacy code.
>
> Jim Fulton writes:
>  > Is there much?
>
>   *I* don't have much and would be happy to convert.  But I'm more
> interested in hearing the answer to this question from the people
> doing XML work for a living -- I suspect their answer may be *very*
> different!
>
>  > Is it late in the game?  From the evidence on the XML-SIG
>  > pages and the discussion here, it appears to me that there
>  > is not a defined Python DOM mapping. Some people think that
>  > it provides direct attribute, others seem to thing it provides
>  > access based on both.
>
>   Considering that all this has been hashed out several times, I'd say
> it is.

I'll be willing to give on this, however, I assert that
a decision isn't a decision unless it's published.

It doesn't help when the people who made the decision
can't seem to remember what it was. Supposedly, the
decision was that DOM attributes are accessed as ordinary
Python attributes, as in::

  foo.nodeName

yet several people seemed to think that attributes are obtained
via accessor functions:

  foo._get_nodeName()

You argued that this was appropriate based on IDL
conformance. Why make this argument if the decision
was to use attribute access? Or was it? What was the
decision anyway? :)

> The lack of a DOM mapping document is more because everyone is
> ultra-busy than because the matter hasn't been considered.

If the decision is important, someone should find the time
to publish it. Presumably people found time to write code.

Jim

repeats.