[XML-SIG] Ugh! Why are DOM access methods spelled with a leading '_'?

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:21:52 -0600

> Tom Passim:
>
> > Jim Fulton continued the attributes thread -
> >
> > I still don't see why anyone is still arguing about whether the DOM rec
> > makes Python use attributes.  I doesn't.  In fact, it says that what are
> > called "attributes" in the IDL definitions are NOT supposed to be attributes
> > in implementations, and that the get/set accessor functions don't have to
> > store/retrieve from actual objects, let alone attributes of objects.
> >
> > So can we at least lay this part of it to rest?  Now if most people think it
> > is more 'Pythonic' to use attributes, or if there are clearcut performance
> > benefits, then we have a basis for discussion. But let's quit talking about
> > whether the DOM rec makes us do attributes.
>
> Now I have no idea what you lot are arguing.  The first argument was against
> leading underscore because it's "not Python idiom".  The point was made that
> we should simply cock a snook at the Python/CORBA binding.  Once that point
> was allowed, the same lot are arguing against using attributes, which are
> indisputable Python idiom on the grounds that it goes against the spirit of
> the W3C spec.
>
> I hope I can be blunt without antagonism, but it seems as if a particular goal
> is in mind: i.e. DOM attribute access through accessor/mutators only, and any
> available argument is being thrown at that goal.
>
> I'll note that I claim to have no agenda except to do what's sensible for
> Python and DOM (we've already put a great deal of work into making 4DOM
> conform to the earlier list consensus, and we could put in more work if it
> made sense.)
>
> The course that does make sense is to allow attribute access only because it's
> most Pythonic.

I think I was misunderstanding matters.  I was genuinely confused at what was
going on when I wrote the above message (the weird lag problems on the list
don't help one bit), but I now think I understand at least Jim's train of
argument (and respect it thoroughly).

As I see it, there are three arguments:

1 the leading underscore in the Python/CORBA binding is non-pythonic and we
should avoid following it
2 it is desirable to respect the W3C's use of IDL, even if this somewhat
contradicts one above
3 it is easier for implementors to map DOM attributes to accessor/mutator
methods

The jump from 1 to 2 confused me because it seemed contradictory, but I see
now that the core argument seems to be 3, with 1 and 2 just consequences of 3.

I still disagree with 3 because I think users' convenience is more important
than implementors', but that's a fair argument.

I apologize for any misunderstanding.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101