[XML-SIG] The '_' thingy

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:18:29 -0400

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > Mike Olson wrote:
> > >
> > > So, I think I see this as a general concensius:
> >
> > Are you kidding?
> >
> > > 1.  DOM will never (in forseeable future) be used over an ORB, so the
> > > IDL should be used as a guide.
> >
> > Uh, this doesn't make sense.
>
> Please elaborate.

Mike says that DOM won't be used over an ORB and yet
he says that (CORBA) IDL idle *should* be used as a guide.
If we don't care about CORBA, why be guided by UDL?

> > > We should focus more on useability then
> > > CORBA compliance.
> > >
> > > 2.  Most people will access the DOM via attributes.
> >
> > Who says? What do you have to support this? Most people
> > will access the DOM through whatever interface we define.
>
> Mike's support is that back when this SIG agreed upon attribute access as well
> as _get/_set ops, most people said they'd prefer to just use plain attribute
> access anyway, and the _get/_set was only needed for completeness.
>
> Do you have any support to contradict his assertion?

In the discussion over the last few days, I've seen alot of confusion
over what the Python DOM API actually is.  It's hard to believe that
real consensus exists in such an environment.

Jim

repeats.