[XML-SIG] Ugh! Why are DOM access methods spelled with a leading '_'?

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:36:58 -0600

> Mike Olson wrote:

> > > Whatever we do, there needs to be a document somewhere that
> > > says what the Python DOM mapping is, even if it is not
> > > much more than a reference to the DOM IDL and the Python
> > > binding.
> >
> > In 4DOM, we are actually moving away from __getattr__ (for speed).
>
> IMO, this is strong evidence that the Python DOM should
> *not* use attributes for implementing the DOM/IDL attributes.

Not so fast.  We've mostly solved the speed problem.  And we could solve a
good deal more of it by getting rid of accessor/mutator functions.

This whole argument actually makes mandating only attributes more attractive
to me.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101