[XML-SIG] Ugh! Why are DOM access methods spelled with a leading '_'?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

Paul Prescod writes:
 > The DOM working group says that for Java and Javascript, usability is
 > more important than CORBA compliance. I think that the same goes for
 > Python. That's why I use and advocate attribute syntax.

Paul,
  From the IDL errors pointed out earlier and these comments, I'd have
to conclude that the IDL definition should be removed from the
recommendation (not present in the next rev., or whatever), and we
should put together our own Python mapping that completely ignores all
the naming conventions of the IDL and Java mappings and does the
Python thing.  The big issue there is the legacy code.
  So, are people using the _get_/_set_ methods or the attribute names?
Why are these questions being brought back up so late in the game,
anyway?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>