[XML-SIG] Ugh! Why are DOM access methods spelled with a leading '_'?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:54:26 +0200 (CEST)

Paul Prescod writes:
 > Dieter Maurer wrote:

 > > I would vote against.
 > >
 > >   DOM is specified in terms of IDL.
 > >   Python has an IDL -> Python mapping.
 > >   Deviating from this mapping for DOM only would require special
 > >   knowledge -- a thing I do not like.
 >
 > Less than one in a hundred DOM users (especially minidom users!) will
 > know or care about the original IDL.

Anyone that reads the recommendation will see the IDL.

Deviating from standards and creating their own
variant is something I blame MS for. The Python
community should not follow this bad habit, though the
effect would not be as drastic.

Dieter