[XML-SIG] Re: [DO-SIG] Python language bidning January 2000 Draft

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:55:58 -0600

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Mike Olson wrote:
> >
> > Jim Fulton wrote:
> > >

> Then you advocate abandoning the CORBA IDL mapping for Python.
> The Python mapping does *not* provide for using IDL attributes
> as Python attributes. In fact, some folks in the DO-SIG seem to
> feel strongly that doing so would be a really bad idea.

From what I read, they feel strongly that attribute access over an ORB
is not a good idea, for reasons of exceptions and the like.  I don't
remember seeing any complaints about attribute access of python objects.

> > Lets leave it up to implementors to determine
> > how they want to spell the functions.  After all, these functions really
> > are "private".
>
> No, they aren't private, or at least, they aren't private if you
> follow the IDL mapping.

I've never acutally tried (so I may be wrong) but I don't think you can
call _get_foo accross an ORB for an attribute called foo.  In
distributed world then thay are private.  This was (as my original
understanding goes) the intention of the _get* in DOM.  Not ment to be
accessed from the outside.

Mike

--
Mike Olson				 Principal Consultant