[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 XML APIs

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:11:41 -0600

> "Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:
> >
> >   My biggest concern lies in the potential bugginess of the
> > implementation; I expect Paul knows more about XML & actually applying
> > it than most of us (though possibly not all), and has sufficient
> > experience that he can craft a solid API.
>
> The DOM stuff is almost entirely "by the book."

I do feel a bit better about the API now that I've seent Paul's longer pulldom
example, which does seem to conform to the Python/DOM mapping (I'll assume the
"child_nodes" in the earlier example was a typo).  However, there are still
the inevitable extansions (ParseString, AttributeList, etc.), which, while
they seem innocuous to me so far, may be worth scrutinizing over time.

> The "pulldom" stuff is
> only about three methods:
>
> 1. Parse my file please
> 2. Give me a node please
> 3. Fill in this node's children and descendants please.
>
> It's simpler than XMLLib, SAX or anything else I've ever seen. No
> magical method names, no special base classes, nothing.

I'll admit to its simplicity, and the opportunity for lazy instantiation is
attractive, but I don't think I'd tend to use it a great deal, which, I
imagine, is OK.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101