[XML-SIG] Ugh! Why are DOM access methods spelled with a leading '_'?

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:52:51 -0600

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Traditionally, Python attributes (including methods) with
> names starting with '_' were treated as private.
>
> Why oh why then does the Python DOM implementation use
> method names beginning with '_'s in the public API (for
> getting attributes), as in '_get_nodeType'? Why not
> 'get_nodeType' or 'getNodeType'? Is the intent that these
> functions shouldn't be called by Python code?

The methods really are not part of the DOM API.

Example: the API defines the attribute nodeType.  the python mapping
(based off the python CORBA mapping) translates this into _get_nodeType
for accessors.

This interface is not published, but people do use it.  It is encouraged
that you directly
access the attributes.

> Is there are description somewhere of the Python DOM mapping,
> other than the DOM sources?

I'm not sure if anyone has put together a formal document.  We've based
most of it off the CORBA mapping at
http://www.python.org/sigs/do-sig/corbamap.html

Mike