[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 XML APIs

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:40:29 -0500

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

>   My biggest concern lies in the potential bugginess of the
> implementation; I expect Paul knows more about XML & actually applying
> it than most of us (though possibly not all), and has sufficient
> experience that he can craft a solid API.

The DOM stuff is almost entirely "by the book." The "pulldom" stuff is
only about three methods:

1. Parse my file please
2. Give me a node please
3. Fill in this node's children and descendants please.

It's simpler than XMLLib, SAX or anything else I've ever seen. No
magical method names, no special base classes, nothing.

Alot of the credit goes to /Fredrik. His trick about turning push
parsers into pull parsers allowed me to write the last two methods.

> If the code he's talking
> about is stuff that he's been using a while, I expect its well tested
> in practice.

Well, Fred, I like you too much to lie to you. Adding namespace support
required a lot of fiddly changes here and there that I have not tested.
On the other hand, I promise, promise, promise to test the hell out of
it over the next few days and especially once the beta comes out.

I'll post some sample programs here so that everyone can get a feeling
for it.

My last day at my current job is Friday and I chose that date in part to
have time to do this testing and documenting. I'm pushing this because
for the first time I think I've got an API that I can teach a person new
to Python in 10 minutes

"Music is the stuff between the notes." - Claude Debussy