[XML-SIG] Extension modules in PyXML CVS

Walter Underwood wunder@ultraseek.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:38:46 -0700

--On Wednesday, June 21, 2000 12:42 AM -0400 tpassin@home.com wrote:

> Fred, we're not all going to suddenly drop 1.5.2 and rush to 1.6, I don't
> think.  Not with Unicode and all the other changes I gather are in there,
> including the packaging system.

Except that processing XML requires Unicode support. Technically, you
can be legal if you parse UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings, then throw away
any characters outside of Latin-1 in later processing, but that is only
useful in really specific applications. Anything vaguely general should
handle Unicode.

So, it makes sense to focus Python XML development on 1.6.

And this doesn't address your argument (conservatism), but 1.6a2 has
been very stable for us in the past month of development. We run on
multiple platforms, test on multi-CPU machines, and have a multi-threaded
search engine with big native modules. I don't think we've seen a Python
bug. And yes, we did find some in 1.4 and 1.5.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Senior Staff Engineer, Ultraseek Corp.