[XML-SIG] PyExpat changes

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:22:24 +0200

"A.M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Basically,
> the relevant calls to Py_BuildValue("s") become calls with "O&",
> returns_unicode ? <function that makes a Unicode string> : <function
> that makes an 8-bit string>.  Worse, creating the dictionary
> containing attributes requires two very similar parallel functions for
> each case.

Can't think of anything prettier off the top of my head.

> Also, I'm starting to find the capitalized method and attribute names
> .Parse, .StartElementHandler) annoying; the methods are more annoying
> than the attribute names.  Think this is worth fixing?

No. We should not document the PyExpat API. I do not believe that there
is any performance loss in using the SAX API instead. Typing the upper
case letters is a reminder that you shouldn't be typing those method
names at all (except in creating the SAX driver).

Yes, this means that we need to finish SAX 2 for Python 1.6. I'm not
clear on where we are with that but I should have some time to help
really soon.

"Music is the stuff between the notes." - Claude Debussy