[XML-SIG] Zope and DOM

Mike Olson molson@fourthought.com
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:22:55 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Paul Prescod wrote:

> Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> ZObjects or Zope DOM objects? There are two different use cases. In one
> you want to get some objects into Zope and don't care about the XML
> representation. Then you can throw away a lot of information -- not much
> trickery involved. In the second, you want to be able to get back out
> your XML document after storing it in Zope as DOM objects. Now you've
> got conflicting goals of trying to keep the object count down while
> trying not to throw away information about, e.g. the order of
> paragraphs, the order of attributes, entity reference boundaries and so
> forth. That's the really tricky situation.

Actually we are shooting for both.  Since all Zope Objects will support
the DOM nterface, we are hoping to mix the children of a document with
some specialized Zope Objects  (persistent) and some transient 4DOM
objects.  The user will not know the difference.  The 4DOM objects will
only be stored as fragments and recreated as needed.

Mike