[XML-SIG] A usage scenario for Python and XML...

Greg Wolff pwolff@cox.rr.com
Mon, 05 Jun 2000 17:39:53 -0400

This looks good.  Once the byte offsets are in place it looks like that
we get me going on the Python implementation.
Thanks!

Answers below...

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Greg Wolff
> |
> | NOTE: Byte offsets are not available in SAX but are in SAX2.  ....
>
> I haven't yet made offsets available in SAX2, but I plan to do so in
> the next release. I was thinking of two possible ways to do this:
>
>   - a SAX2 parser property that returns the current offset
>   - a SAX2 parser property that returns a function that returns the
>     current offset
>
> The first is the least surprising way, but I think the second is
> likely to be faster and also more convenient. Opinions on this would
> be welcome.

I think I would like the second better than the first, but I don't see
that it makes any difference.

> | Major Requirement: Complete location information, including byte
> | offsets, are required at all relevant element start and end tag
> | instances.
>
> With the addition of the byte offset information SAX 2 should cover
> your requirements, I assume?

Yes, I think it will.

The more I work with the Python XML implementations, the better I like
it.  You'all have done a very nice job with it, and of course, Python is
excellent in its own right.

> BTW: Thank you for a very interesting post. It's always interesting to
>      know what people are using this software for.
>
> --Lars M.

You're welcome.

/pgw
Greg Wolff