[XML-SIG] XML support in Python 1.6

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 01 Jun 2000 13:43:29 -0600

>   We also need to decide what sort of API we want to publicize as part
> of the standard library -- SAX or SAX2?  Given the delay for Python
> 1.6, it probably makes sense to include a saxlib module that
> implements SAX2.  Lars, does this still make sense to you?

Here's a loud vote for SAX2.  Also, depending on how long the delay is, can we
get minidom in?

>   We also need to determine how Unicode should be supported; should
> the parser always produce Unicode strings, or UTF-8, and provide a
> wrapper that converts everything?  Since it appears likely that
> auto-conversion between Unicode and narrow strings will likely only
> work for 7-bit narrow strings, it may be reasonable to create Unicode
> output directly from the parser (probably at the pyexpat level for
> efficiency).

I'm not happy with Guido's final ex cathedra determination of Python 1.6's
unicode.  I'm sure I'm not alone here: the socket-programming-and-other-binary-
stream-manipulating-crowd will be happy, but we have a few hurdles in our way
now.

But since Paul and /F argued more intelligently than I could and left the wall
unmoved, there's nothing for it.  I think we should put out true unicode
everywhere possible, and do whatever magic need be done within the black box
to make that happen.

>   Any other issues?  Comments?  Should we just drop Python 1.6 and
> concentrate on Python 3000?  :)

Are you kiding?  Guido's about to get married, so the "3000" bit could quickly
become less of a joke than it is now...

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +01 303 583 9900 x 101