[XML-SIG] Extending the xml package

Juergen Hermann Juergen Hermann" <jhe@webde-ag.de
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:38:50 +0200

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:37:19 -0400 (EDT), Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

[I post this back to the list too and hope you don't care; actually I
failed to click on "reply to all" once again with my original reply ;) ]=

>  You can check the value of xml.__name__; it will be "xml" for the
>standard module and "_xmlplus" for the extended version.

OK, that is a start. :)

>  That would work, but could easily create increased dependence on
>getting out a fresh PyXML package so that the version number will be
>available for people that rely on the extended package.
>  Is this what you mean?

No, I did not mean to *internally* check the version in the xml packages=

__init__ itself.

I think *client* code should be able to do so. Since we are planning to =

(more or less regularly) update the core/stable/distributed xml package,=

we should support this by enabling client code to say what version of
the extended stuff it relies(!) on.

If you say "import re" on a Python 1.5.2 system, you know what to expect=

(unless you have a wicked installation). This would be NOT the case for =

"import xml".

Ciao, J=FCrgen

--
J=FCrgen Hermann, Developer (jhe@webde-ag.de)