[XML-SIG] Wanted - Heroes

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:03:43 +0100

> On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 06:25:54 +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
>
> >1. write a basic HTML-to-Flowables filter...
>
> filter == a python script, or a XSLT stylesheet?
Python script.  WE don't have an XML import format yet;
input is minimal HTML, output is a list of reportlab
"Flowable" objects (mostly paragraphs).

> >6. Finally, the HTML to PDF filter will go in our standard
> >library, with your name on it - maybe even next week!
>
> Do you know of any project using ReportLab to write a FO processor? (FO
> == XSL flow objects)
>
> >From what I see, ReportLab is very nice and would be an ideal base for
> a pythonic FO processor, which in turn would be a nice showcase for
> Python (the only serious stuff in FO processing is either Java or C++).
No, not yet.  We're only just finishing documenting our
paragraph API this week, so it is a bit early.  I personally
have my doubts about when FO will stabilise and how practical
an object model it is, and a proper implementation imvolves
modelling rectangles down to the character level which is not
Python's forte.

> Sorry for not using the list, but I currently get it only at work. You
> may quote this email there, but please include a CC to this address.

Sorry too - I got so busy last week I ignored the XML-sig and
only just saw this.

- Andy Robinson