[XML-SIG] XPath in Python 2

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:45:12 -0600

Paul Prescod wrote:

> 4XPath is cleaner from a user's point of view, but it requires a lot bit
> of C/lex code for parsing the XPaths. I don't know if we would have to

Or we could re write the parser in C/python.  There has been some talk
of doing it with SRE....

> We also have the option of creating a new XPath implementation also. The
> primary virtue of doing so would be the opportunity to implement a tiny
> subset of XPath in a much smaller amount of code. The two existing
> implementations probably have more code than the rest of the Python 1.6
> XML package. And in 4XPath's case, a lot of that is C code.

Actually, very little is in C.  The generated C is quite large (you've
all seen bison output before), but the "other" c is a very small amount.

Almost all of the functionality is written in python....

Mike