[XML-SIG] Attribute handling

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 09 Jul 2000 11:45:28 -0500

I think that we have enough feedback to allow Lars to choose the right
data structures for callbacks, if he is willing. Here is a summary of
the attribute choices that have been discussed:

a) [(uri,localname):(rawname/prefix,value),...]

Pro: in some case, it is directly usable for "application-level" code.
Con: in many cases, it is not, and must be immediately converted to
another data structure -- which would be more efficient if it were a
sequence, not a dict

b) [((uri,localname),rawname/prefix),value),...]

Pro: easier (and more efficient) to directly copy into a more convenient
data structure
Con: less often directly useful for application-level code. Requires a
wrapper or conversion more often.

c) (some optimized attribute-specific datatype)

Pro: optimized for what we need and does not require copying
Con: who writes it? who maintains it? complicates things too much?

d) AttributeList

Pro: already implemented
Con: least efficient because it is written in Python

It is possible to migrate from any of the solutions to c) without
breaking code but other migrations are more tricky.

"Computer Associates is expected to come in with better than expected
earnings." Bob O'Brien, quoted in
	- http://www.fool.com/news/2000/foth000316.htm