[XML-SIG] SAX Namespaces

04 Jul 2000 11:31:52 +0200

* Greg Stein

| Each of these presumes that the namespace processing can be turned
| off. Is that an important/required feature?

I think so, yes.  It makes XML much more approachable for novices, and
many programs also don't need namespace processing.  The cost of
namespace processing is also relatively high for the pure-Python
parsers.

| IMO, the NS processing can/should always occur; they are an integral
| part of XML processing today.

It is the default setting, and parsers are required to support it.
They are not required to be able to support turning it off.

| If NS processing *can* be disabled, then uri==None and name==qname.

I would prefer replacing the tuple with the qname.  Any code that
looks at the internal structure of names for (uri, localname) will
assume namespace processing anyway, methinks.  If anyone can think of
convincing use cases that are made awkward by the string
representation I will reconsider.

--Lars M.