[XML-SIG] Pyx

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:17:49 -0700

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 02:41:34PM -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
> #2. Let's ignore that and pretend it is not possible. It is entirely
> possible to use XML as the interchange format between databases and
> applications and so forth and just use Pyx when it is necessary to make
> the information available as line-oriented information. Translation to
> Pyx can be just the end result of a chain of filters. Therefore you do
> not need ODBC->PYX and HTML->PYX and ...->PYX. You need *->XML and XML->
> Pyx (which you already have). If you start making Pyx "drivers" for
> every data source in the world then you are duplicating all of the work
> that has already been done for XML!

What is the problem with that? If somebody chooses to do that work, then why
is that a problem with you? It is their choice, after all.

We all work on the things that we believe in, and that we enjoy working on.
If Sean is working on PYX, and you don't like the format or its
implications, then who says you must work on it?

> > Why are you so hostile to it?
>
> I'm not hostile to Pyx. I am hostile to what I see as a very fuzzy
> description of what Pyx does and does not do.

From this standpoint, you seem hostile to the concept. As if it is
infringing on territory that only XML should occupy.

> #2. You claim that we should make pyx generators for ODBC and various
> apps. I claim that the combination of XML and XML->Pyx gives us defacto
> such generators. Therefore we should push for *xml generators* first,
> because they have a much broader utility than Pyx generators.

People will work on what they want to work on. There is no way that you
can (or should!) tell somebody "don't work on that!"

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/