[XML-SIG] Reconsidering the DOM AP

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 20:05:30 -0500

Greg Stein wrote:

> None of that invalidates Pyxie, which is what it appears you are trying to
> do here.

I don't see Pyxie as invalid at all. Someone asked us to put it in the
standard Python distribution. I think it would be great to put the best
ideas from the Pyxie distribution into Python 1.7 but I don't think we
are going to put in a tree API that is DOM-like but a little different,
and an event API that is SAX-like but a little different. Maybe others
will disagree with me on that issue.

It's precisely because I think that Pyxie has a lot of smart ideas that
I'm trying to figure out what's the same and what's different between
Pyxie and DOM. Sean may or may not be interested in merging the concepts
or in getting Pyxie (in whole or in part) into Python 1.7. I don't know.
I think it's a good route to explore.

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski