[XML-SIG] Changes

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 17:46:47 -0700

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 12:07:58PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Paul Prescod writes:
>  > I think that the current name makes more clear to maintainers which
>  > files (pyexpat.*) are maintained by us and which are maintained by James
>  > Clark. Further, we have to be careful of name clashes in terms of
>  > expat.dll and pyexpat.dll. That isn't a problem now because the expat
>  > DLL is not named expat.dll but I can easily imagine that one of Mozilla,
>  > TCL, Perl or James Clark might also want the name expat.dll.
>
>   I hadn't thought about the DLL issue for Windows; that is a
> reasonable problem we should try to avoid proactively.  How about
> this:  rename pyexpat to _pyexpat and not use that as the interface,
> but add xml/parser/expat.py which imports the appropriate names from
> _pyexpat.  This keeps the namespace fairly clean and ensures we don't
> have problems with the C extension for static builds (which doesn't
> support putting C extensions in packages).
>   Objections?  Better approaches?

Yes, I object.

pyexpat is a perfectly usable interface. It is false that "people will only
use SAX" to talk to the thing.

And why bung up the mess with expat.py? It isn't doing anything except for
shifting names from one namespace to another. That certainly is not a reason
for having it.

The expat.dll is good. I withdraw my +1 for that renaming :-) ... keep it
pyexpat, but forget the notion of _pyexpat and expat.py. There is no
value-add in that.

Cheers,
-g

--