[XML-SIG] DevDay results

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:51:51 -0800

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:

> My vote would be to bundle SAX and Expat, which will do for many uses.  If
> they need more sophisticated XML, they can download the XML package to get
> DOM, XPath, XSLT, etc.

My concern is that I don't consider the DOM "advanced". Hell, Visual
Basic and Javascript programmers can't even spell SAX but they all use
the DOM. If a new user asked me which to learn first, I'd say "the DOM"
because any semi-competent newbie can find their way around a tree(?) to
get the information they need whereas being smart enough to buffer the
right information in the right order takes a little more algorithmic
fore-though ('scuse me).

Plus, I kind of feel that an XSL-ish tree iteration with triggers is
going to be the dominant XML processing model of the 21st century.

Nevertheless, I'll leave this for now. I don't want to jinx our chances
of getting expat in. Maybe in 1.7 we could have some kind of minimal
read-only DOM 1 with namespaces.

"Ivory towers are no longer in order. We need ivory
networks. Today, sitting quietly and thinking is the
world´s greatest generator of wealth and prosperity."
 - http://www.bespoke.org/viridian/print.asp?t=140