[XML-SIG] DevDay results

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:59:45 +0100

Recently, "Andrew M. Kuchling" <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org> said:
>     * PyExpat's interface will be changed to be SAX-like, and we'll
>       lobby Guido to add PyExpat to 1.6, along with Expat itself.  It
>       will be renamed, preferably to something with SAX in the name.
>       (expat_sax? pysax?  pyxml? whatever...)  It'll be updated to
>       support all the features in current versions of Expat; Jim
>       Fulton has an updated version of PyExpat inside Zope that will
>       probably be used.

A suggestion to whoever is going to implement this: if we're going to
include a private version of expat it's probably a good idea to change
all the C global symbols. Expat is pretty popular, and I've been
bitten a few times by global symbol name clashes where Python used one
version of a library and a package used (or embedded in an application
in which Python was also embedded) had incorporated a different version.