[XML-SIG] DevDay results

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:07:30 -0500 (EST)

The XML-SIG's developer's day session went well, and, unlike most DD
sessions, we actually achieved consensus on something. :) To summarize
the outcome:

    * The current PyDOM code will be dropped and replaced with 4DOM.
      The precise details of how this will work are still to be
      resolved; will the 4DOM code move into xml.dom, or will xml.dom
      import from xml.Ft.dom and provide some wrappers?

    * PyExpat's interface will be changed to be SAX-like, and we'll
      lobby Guido to add PyExpat to 1.6, along with Expat itself.  It
      will be renamed, preferably to something with SAX in the name.
      (expat_sax? pysax?  pyxml? whatever...)  It'll be updated to
      support all the features in current versions of Expat; Jim
      Fulton has an updated version of PyExpat inside Zope that will
      probably be used.

    * xmllib.py will be left unmodified, though it'll be deprecated in
      favor of PyExpat.

    * When 1.6 begins supporting Unicode, we'll fork the development
      tree into two branches; the branch that works with 1.5 will be
      maintained, though probably not actively developed.  This will
      leave the other branch free to use 1.6-specific features without
      worrying about backward compatibility.

If I've forgotten something from the session, please let me know.

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.
    -- The Doctor, in John Flanagan and Andrew McCulloch's _Meglos_