[XML-SIG] Developer's Day position paper

Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:33:19 -0600 (CST)

    AMK> xmllib.py
    AMK> =========

    AMK> A touchy catfight ensued on the xml-sig mailing about xmllib.py's
    AMK> standards compliance (with or without sgmlop).  Should xmllib.py be
    AMK> dropped?  Can we do an xmllib.py compatible class on top of Expat?

I haven't really been following this list for awhile, because my eyes just
sort of glaze over when everyone starts slinging various XML-related
acronyms (does XML seem to be worse afflicted with this disease than the
rest of the Internet community?  seems like it to me).  I will throw in my
two cents on this issue (not having noticed the aforementioned catfight in
this list because of optical glazing).  I currently use
xmllib+sgmlop+xmlrpclib to do XML-RPC stuff in a production server.  If you
can't find a solution that is as easy to use and that performs at least as
well, I'll have to freeze on what I have now.  I've tried solutions that
were implemented in straight Python and Python+private C-based extensions.
The former is useless performance-wise, the other is a major headache to
maintain.  I for one am thankful that Fredrik Lundh developed and released
both sgmlop and xmlrpclib.  They make my days much more pleasant.

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098