[XML-SIG] DOM and Proxies

Ken MacLeod ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us
18 Feb 2000 15:11:38 -0600

Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> writes:

> Proxied objects have "families". All objects in a family live for
> the same length of time. Families are expected to be completely
> internally linked. There is one proxy "family" for every
> LemmingLeader (created through an explicit call to the proxy method)
> (e.g. one per DOM).

I kinda got lost in this.  What's the need for the "family" and
LemmingLeader?  In my usages of proxies, a reference to the root node
is almost always kept somewhere for the life of the tree, so the tree
never gets collected until that reference is released.  All of the
proxies that are generated from the tree are usually just temporary.
Even if the root-proxy is created implicitly (not by the user), it
still has the only one reference to the root of the tree, when the
root proxy is no longer referenced, the tree goes away.

This may be what you said, but it sounded like quite a bit more was
being described.

  -- Ken