[XML-SIG] DOM and Proxies

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:56:46 -0500 (EST)

Paul Prescod writes:
>Opinions? I would actually sneak this class into a C-coded minidom
>library (built directly on top of expat) for use by anyone who knows it
>is there.

Open question: is the proxy mechanism still useful if a garbage
collection mechanism for collecting cycles gets into 1.6?  (Neal
Schemenauer is working on something, but it's too early to tell if
it'll get into 1.6; perhaps the cost will be too high.)

If cyclic trash was collected, would you still need a proxy mechanism?
Maybe you'd use it for performance reasons, to save the GC some work,
making less trash for it to scan through, but then you're losing a
tiny bit of performance from the extra indirection on every access to
the object.  My concern is simply to avoid spending time building
something that turns out to be unneeded.

    "What's that awful noise?"
    "I beg your pardon... "Awful noise"? A good way to talk about my singing!"
    "No, Doctor, not that awful noise -- the other one!"
    -- Barbara and the Doctor, in "The Chase"