[XML-SIG] 4XPath and Unicode

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:49:14 +0100

> I wouldn't count on that given mxTextTools' heritage ;-)
>
> In fact, there will be a version which supports Unicode by mid-2001
> because I have a need for this myself.

That's good to hear; but I'll wait until then...

> BTW, why can't you design a parser API and then provide parser
> implementations which provide it ?!

Mostly because parser generators typically don't have APIs. Many of
them have entirely different input syntaxes, which are then converted
into programming language code.

Now, it might be possible to have a callback-style API for our grammar
(XPath). Adapting a specific parser generator for this callback API is
just as much work as writing a fresh parser in the generator language.

Reusing the abstract syntax tree might be feasible, though - although
it is more likely that the current 4XPath AS will be used, instead of
somebody designing a new AS.

Regards,
Martin