[XML-SIG] minidom/pulldom connection

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:44:40 -0500 (EST)

Martin v. Loewis writes:
 > From the conformance point of view, minidom is *wrong* by not raising
 > exceptions in appropriate places. However, I doubt anybody fixing this
 > would start with pulldom.

  I think this is mostly a minidom problem and not a pulldom issue.

 > I don't see the need to provide this kind of extensibility until
 > somebody actually wants to implement an alternative minidom on top of
 > pulldom. However, if this is added now, I'd agree with Mike that it
 > would be better to support DOMImplementation objects in minidom.

  I'll point out that if anyone should want to do this, they'll have
to hack pulldom to do it, and not be able to share their DOM
implementation until pulldom is updated at least in PyXML.  I think
this should be done sooner rather than later.  I agree that a
DOMImplementation would be better than some other Document factory.
  My preliminary DOMImplementation code for minidom is not correct
(but works in context); I'll try and fix it this weekend.  pulldom
will require some corresponding changes.  (The documentElement on
created documents is supposed to already be created, as well as the
doctype.  I'll write up some notes on what I've found there for things
that the recommendation doesn't seem to say.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations