[XML-SIG] Moving forward

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:30:09 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew Kuchling writes:
 > With 1.6b1 out there, 1.6final imminent, and 2.0 not far away,
 > it's now time to seriously consider dropping the concessions made for
 > 1.5 compatibility.  These would be:
 >     1) The attempt to make setup.py work without having the Distutils
 > installed
 >     2) The wstrop and intl modules.

  These all should just go.

 >     3) For 1.6/2.0, the package should install itself as _xmlplus.

  This is true, somewhat.  1.6 does not include the xml package, but
the "right" thing is to go ahead and include an xml package that gets
installed in site-packages which does the same thing as the xml
package in the standard library (but does not need to protect against
ImportError).

 > Other things can probably go later; for example, the Wise installer
 > may no longer be needed once the Distutils Windows installer code has
 > shaken down a bit more.
 >
 > Should it now be OK to make 1.6/2.0-specific checkins?  (I've already
 > tagged the current state of the tree with the tag "v056" for future
 > reference, BTW.)

  I'd be concerned about losing easy access to revision histories.  I
think we can do "the right thing" as far as keeping histories and not
screwing up the tag states, but it'll take messing with the CVS tree a
bit, and getting it re-installed at SF.  I can do the work if that
helps, but it really does make sense to work on a local copy of the
tree for this; not all operations are really supported throught the
CVS interface. ;(
  (Greg Stein might say to wait for subversion, but that's too far
off!)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>