Fwd: [XML-SIG] xmlpickle.py ?!

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 09 Aug 2000 07:31:59 -0400

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> > "M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
> > >
> > > Jim Fulton wrote:
> > > >
> > (snip)
> > > The design doesn't look clear to me, e.g. it seems as if you
> > > are first pickling an object using the standard Python pickle
> > > mechanism and the pass the pickled string to the XML converter.
> > > Is that so ?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > >  ...I think I'd rather like to go the direct way.
> >
> > Why? Why is this a goal? By leveraging pickle or cPickle,
> > you can let them do alot of heavy lifting, rather than starting
> > from scratch. In particular, I'd bet $.05 that cPickle+ppml
> > is faster than a "direct" solution.
>
> Probably... speed's currently not imporant for my
> application (it will use XML for structure management purposes
> rather than actual content storage).
>
> > It *was* a goal for me to work from pickles because it allowed
> > me to do database binary<->xml conversion *without* creating
> > objects in memory or even having to have the classes around.
> > This is handy in alot of cases, for example, for ZODB database
> > management and making it easy for humans to read pickles.
> > I don't see the harm in separating the pickling and
> > xml steps.
>
> That's a valid argument.
>
> My long-term thinking behind this is to
> store object information in an XML-aware database or
> database front-end and then accessing it via XPath,
> so there wouldn't be any conversion to and from pickles.

You should get involved in the Zope-XML effort then.
This is exactly the sort of thing we are working toward.

See http://www.zope.org/Wikis/zope-xml/FrontPage.

> > > Hmm, I should really try to get the module run outside of
> > > Zope... for now I've just been looking at the code.
> >
> > It needs to be modified to work with SAX. ppml works with xyap
> > which could easily be modified to work with a sax parser.
>
> What is xyap ?

Uh, it stands for XML yet another parser (framework).
It is one of many attempts to provide a simply framework
for parsing XML on top of a lowe-level interface such as
SAX, xmllib, or expat.

Jim

repeats.