[XML-SIG] Extending the xml package

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:00:44 -0700

I saw that you already checked this in :-(

This solution is definitely sub-optimal. Specifically:

  sys.modules['xml'].__name__ != 'xml'

Monkeying around with sys.modules is a clue that you are depending on
"magic" in the import and module-handling mechanisms. Given some of the
import stuff that people are trying to do (various packaging and archiving
and stuff), this is dangerous stuff.

Here is my suggestion again (with some merging of your code):

xml.__init__:

__version__ = 1
if __name__ == 'xml':
    try:
        import _xmlplus
    except ImportError:
        pass
    else:
        _xmlplus._setup_package(__version__)

_xmlplus.__init__:

def _setup_package(version):
    import xml   # note: available, but empty

    from _xmlplus.parsers import xmlproc, xmlsre
    xml.parsers.xmlproc = xmlproc
    xml.parsers.xmlsre = xmlsre
    # etc

The above code relies on nothing "magic" in the module or import handling.
The _xmlplus package can extend the xml package in any way that it sees fit.
This solution is much more robust in the fact of "funny" import/packaging
scenarios. _xmlplus can override stuff in the xml package and it can extend
it. But it doesn't override *everything* which your suggested code does.

Cheers,
-g