[XML-SIG] XML Schema and e-commerce

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:51:12 -0400 (EDT)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:

 > * Laurent Szyster
 > |
 > | So, developping e-commerce interfaces with XML Schemas and XSLT
 > | stylesheets will not be significantly faster or less expensive
 > | than doing it with traditional EDI tools.
 >
 > I don't know EDI at all, but to me that sounds very reasonable.  The
 > question is: what happens when everyone believes that this is so?
 > (Similarly: what happens when everyone believes that Perl is a
 > wonderful programming language and Python is a fringe language with
 > little or nothing to give the world?)

Perhaps we need to take a Pythonic approach to this problem.  Paul's
EasyDOM is a good example of blending what the rest of the world is
doing to manipulate XML (SAX and DOM) with what makes sense in Python.
A module in the XML package could support XML Schema directly, but
then there should also be the EasySchema layer on top of it that makes
it comprehensible and easy to a Python user.

My only need in having XML Schema is so that I can have type checks made
on the data contained in an XML file.  I could care less that this is
done by XML Schema.  I just need one mechanism that does this well.
The more Pythonic the better.