[XML-SIG] DTD? Schemas? RELAX? Try Schematron

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:21:25 -0600

Since everyone is weighing in with their favorite schema technology, I'll
mention that I _really_ like Rick Jelliffe's Schematron

http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/schematron.html

Rick is on the W3C Schema group, so he'd never outright say it is out of
control, but actions speak louder than words and he's provided a much saner
approach to the problem.

Schematron simply harnesses the enormous power of XSLT to make assertions
about a document, providing a very flexible approach to the rules, output and
style of validation.  Best of all, since there is a basic implementation in
XSLT, it's already here for Python using 4XSLT.  We've used it this way in a
production project (validation was not required for every XML document access).

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Senior Software Engineer
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               (303)583-9900 x 101