[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 and XML

Robin Becker robin@jessikat.demon.co.uk
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 08:06:36 +0100

In article <14587.26310.980367.548082@seahag.cnri.reston.va.us>, Fred L. Drake, Jr.
<fdrake@acm.org> writes

>Robin Becker writes:
> > I'm confused now. PyXML's xmllib doesn't do anything about ']'
> > characters in open text whereas the Python 1.5.2 xmllib does. I'm not
> > clever enough to know which one is correct, but I don't see that
> >
> > <dingo>text [stuff] more text</dingo>
> >
> > should pay special attention to [stuff] or am I out of date.
>
>  Hmm.  It shouldn't as far as I can tell.  That must be a bug.  If
>someone sends a patch for it, I don't see any reason not to integrate
>it (we don't want bugs, regardless).
>  The 1.5.2 xmllib understands namespaces, whereas PyXML's xmllib does
>not.  I think the concensus is to drop xml.parsers.xmllib; if enough
>people agree I can remove it (I've not yet seen anyone respond that
>this is the right thing).  At any rate, it will not become a
>replacement for the 1.5.2 xmllib.
>

>  -Fred
How current is the testxml.py stuff? If I put '[stuff]' into the first quotation ie

<quotation>We will perhaps eventually be writing only small [stuff] modules

and then run  python testxml.py I get both test_sax and test_pyexpat to fail

I'm concerned that I am missing something very obvious about xml ie that [] has some
special significance; I had believed that only <tag> </tag> and &id; were important.
--
Robin Becker