[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 and XML

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:55:39 -0600

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 01:38:52 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:

> >I think we all agree that "import pyexpat" is only marginally better
> >than "import xmllib" in terms of portability and longevity. =

> =

> Another question on that topic: How does all of this affect the integra=
tion of =

> "foreign" parsers into the default XML library / interface of Python. I=
'm =

> constantly confused about xmllib vs. 4DOM vs. pyexpat etc., what's stan=
dard, how =

> are they related...

Which of these things is not like the others...

Seriously, xmllib and pyexpat are parsers, 4DOM is a DOM library -- big =

difference.  4DOM actually uses pyexpat and xmlproc (indirectly, through =

pysax) for parsing.

We've been too busy modifying 4DOM for PyXML and Zope distribution to do =
much =

work on the Python 1.6 effort (soory, Paul).

BTW, to scatter responses at other posts in this thread, I agree that it =
would =

be great to have some miniDOM implementation in Python 1.6: I'm the first=
 to =

say that 4DOM/PyDOM is too big.  However, I have no qualms about nuking x=
mllib =

from 1.6.

Also, 4DOM (and incidentally 4XPath and 4XSLT) have reached 90+% levels o=
f =

conformance and we've been working on performance.  We have some changes =
on =

the way that should almost double 4DOM's speed and speed up 4XPath and 4X=
SLT =

by much larger factors.

-- =

Uche Ogbuji                               Senior Software Engineer
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               (303)583-9900 x 101
Fourthought, Inc.                         http://Fourthought.com =

4735 East Walnut St, Ste. C, Boulder, CO 80301-9036