[XML-SIG] Python 1.6 and XML

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:38:08 -0400 (EDT)

Andy Robinson writes:
 > - I'd rather the existing xmllib stayed in 1.6 rather than being updated,
 > otherwise a bunch of people will have to update existing apps.  We can then
 > write two parsers for our apps, one for the 'standard library' xmllib and
 > one for the new SAX standard, and be safe on everyone's machines.

  The XML-SIG session decided that xmllib would not be changed, but
marked deprecated once the SAX support was added to the standard
library.
  Andrew, were you working on getting this in?

 > - a 'miniDOM' sounds very cool.  Compliance with W3C API standards excites
 > me a lot less than really convenient, Pythonic ways to turn XML docs into
 > object trees at C-like speeds - especially if one has hooks to use one's own
 > base classes.  But that sounds like later than 1.7.

  I don't remember what we said about this; I'd like to see one in the
core myself.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>