[XML-SIG] xml package install

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:55:07 -0400 (EDT)

Vladimir Marangozov writes:
 > The simplest way to achieve this is to ship the package with an initial
 > Makefile (which will be overwritten), containing the rule
 > "all: make -f Makefile.pre.in boot; make"

  I like this.  I've been known to do even more devious things, when I
wanted to add additional material to the Makefile.  It's actually
possible to write a Makefile that locates the Makefile.pre.in that is
installed when Python is installed and use that, adding additional
material using Setup.in and rules in the bootstrap Makefile.  And then
have a target that cleans it all back up so that the Makefile that's
there in the end is the one that you included in the first place.
  Guido didn't like that, but for t1python, I didn't care.  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>