[XML-SIG] pyexpat & xmlproc

07 Nov 1999 19:26:48 +0100

(Sorry for the late response, but I've been offline the past week.)

* Adrian Eyre

| Is there any reason why pyexpat (written in C) is slower than
| xmlproc (written in Python)?

My immediate response to this would have been that pyexpat is of
course much faster, but since the others seem to agree that it is not
there must be something more to this.

In any case, I believe we were a bit too quick here: pyexpat should
definitely be faster than xmlproc and if it is not there must be
something wrong, perhaps with the SAX driver.

I will try to find some time to work on speeding this up (I'm working
on SAX right now anyway), and if anyone else is interested I would be
glad to hear what your results and thoughts are.

As for calls from Python to C I don't think that is the reason, since
there shouldn't be any during the parse apart from when there are
errors.

--Lars M.