[XML-SIG] Building a DOM tree

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:31:16 -0500 (EST)

Carsten Oberscheid writes:
>At 16:22 23.03.99 -0500, Andrew M. Kuchling wrote:
>Assuming that each Node object can be a member only of one single DOM tree,
>wouldn't it be possible to replace the _parent_relation member of the
>document element by one global _parent_relation dictionary on module level?
>
>   xml.dom.core._parent_relation == { id(childNode): parentNode, ... }

	Hmm... hmmm... no, I can't think of any reason that wouldn't
work.  Nodes can only have a single parent, and you can't mix nodes
from two different document trees (unless you're Fred Drake), so key
collisions aren't possible.  That would mean there's a single
dictionary with lots of keys, testing Python's dictionary code a bit
more, but dictionaries are supposed to handle that sort of thing, so
it shouldn't cause any problems.  Shouldn't cause any problems for
threading, either.  Hmmm...

We of Faerie are of the wild magic. We are not creatures of spells and
grimoires. We *are* spells, and we are written of in grimoires.
    -- From SANDMAN #52: "Cluracan's Tale"