[XML-SIG] New DOM code checked in

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:36:12 -0500 (EST)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
>Shouldn't this wait for the next DOM WD in the hope that this part of
>the DOM will be fleshed out then? It seems pointless to me to
>implement this now only to have it obsoleted by the next draft.

	The next DOM WD is probably some time away, since the March 4
draft doesn't mention namespaces at all and WDs come out fairly
slowly.  There are technologies like RDF and XSL that pretty much
require namespaces *now*, so I think we can't sit on our hands here.

>I'm in a similar quandary. I'd very much like to add Unicode support
>to xmlproc, but to do that I need support in RE. Any feedback on what
>Guido thinks and what the others here think would be welcome.

	Unicode in REs?  <ulp> I may be ill...  <blargh>

>What about the factory I proposed here earlier? It would be nice to
>know whether that is on the list, and if so, where.

	Yes, it's definitely on the list, but I haven't yet had time
to look at 4DOM's interface.  Anyone want to propose how this should
look for PyDOM and save me the trouble?

>I'm still hoping to do xmlproc 0.61 this week and it still seems
>possible. Maybe Wednesday...

	Don't rush; I don't expect 0.5.1 will have a long life, so
xmlproc could be updated in 0.5.2.

I never realized it before, but having looked that over I'm certain I'd rather
have my eyes burned out by zombies with flaming dung sticks than work on a
conscientious Unicode regex engine.
    -- Tim Peters, 3 Dec 1998