[XML-SIG] DTD for recipes

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:16:24 -0500 (EST)

Walter Underwood writes:
>I recommend using the Dublin Core elements as needed, with the
>formats of the content specified. These three are particularly
>important for search engines, since they are the ones that are
>shown in the results pages:

	Good suggestion.  Do you have any opinion about whether the
metadata elements should be left as children of the 'recipe' element,
as opposed to introducing a new mid-level element?  That is, from:

  <!ELEMENT recipe (title, author?, source?, [...]
to:
  <!ELEMENT recipe (info, [...]

>Finally, I think that Dublin Core is perfectly adequate for
>this application. RDF is too complex (or perhaps inadequately
>explained) for the average author or developer, and the HTML
>conventions (title, keywords, description) are just not enough
>information. Dublin Core is  the "Goldilocks" solution, just right.

	Hmm... but Dublin Core doesn't seem to be extensible at all,
and the primary problem is that someone may want to track suitability
for diabetics, or degree-of-vegan-ness, and we can't think of all the
possibilities ahead of time.  I'm not happy about requiring knowledge
of RDF, but don't see another option.

Instead, you and I became the cornerstones of the Brotherhood of Evil! An
empire of crime such as I'd dreamed of back in the old school, when the other
children used to laugh at me because I was a brain in a tank.
    -- The Brain, in DOOM PATROL #34